Historically, the profession of a Financial Analyst qualified as an Economist as one of the professions listed under the USMCA that qualified for TN Visa status to work in the United States. USCIS clarified the position of a Financial Analyst for TN Visa purposes in their Nov. 20, 2017, Policy Memo. We discuss the profession of a Financial Analyst for TN Visa status under the USMCA here.
What is a financial analyst for TN Visa purposes?
According to the US Bureau of Labor Statistics Occupational Outlook Handbook (OOH), financial analysts fall under the profession of OOH Financial Analyst. A financial analyst is defined as follows for immigration purposes:
Financial analysts guide businesses and individuals in decisions about expending money to attain profit. They assess the performance of stocks, bonds, and other types of investments. Financial analysts typically do the following:
- Recommend individual investments and collections of investments, known as portfolios
- Evaluate current and historical financial data
- Study economic and business trends
- Examine a company’s financial statements to determine its value
- Meet with company officials to gain better insight into the company’s prospects
- Assess the strength of the management team
- Prepare written reports
Financial analysts evaluate opportunities to commit money for the purpose of generating profit.
Financial Analysts do not qualify as Economists under the USMCA
On November 20, 2017, USCIS issued a Policy Memorandum clarifying the profession of Economist under the USMCA. Activities that constitute a broad range of other professions related to economics, such as activities performed by financial analysts, market research analysts, and marketing specialists DO NOT qualify for TN status. Read the memo here.
Additional Outside Resources
- OOH Financial Analyst
- TN Visa Memos and Letters
- USCIS Issues Clarifying Guidance on NAFTA TN Status Eligibility for Economists
We Can Help!
The immigration lawyers at Richards and Jurusik Immigration Law have more than 30+ years of TN Visa experience helping people to live and work in the United States. Contact us today for a free assessment of your qualifications for TN Visa status.