Landscape architects are one of the several professions that can qualify for TN Visa status under the USMCA (NAFTA). If you are a Canadian or Mexican landscape architect with an offer of employment to work in the United States, you may qualify for TN Visa status. We discuss the profession of a landscape architect and how to qualify for TN Visa status here.
What is a landscape architect for TN Visa purposes?
According to the US Bureau of Labor Statistics Occupational Outlook Handbook (OOH), the profession of a landscape architect is defined as follows for immigration purposes:
Landscape architects design parks and the outdoor spaces of campuses, recreational facilities, businesses, private homes, and other open spaces. Landscape architects typically do the following:
- Meet with clients, engineers, and building architects to understand the requirements of a project
- Prepare site plans, specifications, and cost estimates
- Coordinate the arrangement of existing and proposed land features and structures
- Prepare graphic representations of plans using computer-aided design and drafting (CADD) software
- Select appropriate landscaping materials
- Analyze environmental reports on land conditions, such as drainage and energy usage
- Inspect landscape project progress to ensure that it adheres to plans
- Seek new work through marketing activities or by giving presentations
Landscape architects design attractive and functional public parks, gardens, playgrounds, residential areas, college campuses, and public spaces. They also plan the locations of buildings, roads, walkways, flowers, shrubs, and trees within these environments. Landscape architects design these areas so that they are not only easy to use but also harmonious with the natural environment.
Landscape architects use various technologies in their work. For example, using CADD software, landscape architects prepare models of their proposed work. They present these models to clients for feedback and then prepare the final look of the project. Many landscape architects also use Geographic Information Systems (GIS) which offer GPS coordinates of different geographical features. This helps landscape architects design different environments by providing clues on where to start planning and how to anticipate future effects of the landscape, such as rainfall running into a valley.
How do I qualify for TN Visa status as a landscape architect?
You might qualify for TN Visa status as a landscape architect if you meet the following minimum qualifications:
- You are a Canadian or Mexican Citizen (Permanent Residents do NOT qualify);
- You have a job offer from a US employer or are servicing a contract with a US client;
- You will be performing duties consistent with a landscape architect under the OOH;
- You have a Baccalaureate or Licenciatura in landscape architecture or a closely-related field; and
- You can demonstrate that you have non-immigrant intent, in other words, the intent to return to your foreign residence at the end of your temporary employment.
Do I need a license to qualify for TN Visa status as a landscape architect?
All states require landscape architects to be licensed. However, licensure is a post-entry requirement and not required to obtain TN Visa status.
Additional Outside Resources
We Can Help!
The immigration lawyers at Richards and Jurusik Immigration Law have more than 30+ years of TN Visa experience helping people to live and work in the United States. Contact us today for a free assessment of your qualifications for TN Visa status.