TN Visa Eligibility for Lawyers
The United States, under the United States-Mexico-Canada Agreement (USMCA), formerly known as NAFTA, allows professionals from various fields, including lawyers, to apply for a TN Visa. If you’re a lawyer from Canada or Mexico looking for a job opportunity in the United States, you might qualify for a TN Visa.
What Defines a Lawyer for TN Visa Purposes?
The United States Bureau of Labor Statistics Occupational Outlook Handbook (OOH) provides a clear definition of a lawyer’s profession for immigration purposes. As per OOH, lawyers are professionals who:
- Advise and represent individuals, businesses, and government agencies on legal disputes and issues
- Communicate with clients, colleagues, judges, and others involved in a case
- Conduct research and analysis of legal problems
- Interpret laws, rulings, and regulations for individuals and businesses
- Prepare and file legal documents, like lawsuits, appeals, wills, contracts, and deeds
Eligibility Criteria for TN Visa as a Lawyer
The minimum qualifications to obtain a TN Visa as a lawyer include:
- Citizenship of Canada or Mexico (Permanent Residents are not eligible)
- A job offer from a US employer or a contract with a US client
- Duties consistent with a lawyer as defined by the OOH
- Possession of an LL.B., J.D., L.L.L., B.C.L., or Licenciatura Degree (five years); OR membership in a state/provincial bar
- Ability to demonstrate non-immigrant intent, i.e., intent to return to your foreign residence at the end of your temporary employment
Licensure Requirements for TN Visa Applicants
While obtaining a state bar membership is a common requirement to practice law in the US, it isn’t necessary to acquire TN Visa status. It is a post-entry requirement, meaning it can be fulfilled after obtaining the TN Visa. However, the licensure prerequisites may vary from one state and jurisdiction to another.
TN Visa Professions & Occupations List
Schedule a Consultation with an Immigration Lawyer
Additional Outside Resources
We Can Help!
You may have questions regarding TN visa requirements as a lawyer. We invite you to reach out to our team at Richards and Jurusik for detailed guidance and assistance. Our goal is to provide you with the most accurate and up-to-date information to make your immigration process smoother and less stressful. The immigration lawyers at Richards and Jurusik have decades of experience helping people to work and live in the United States. Read some of our hundreds of 5-star client reviews! Contact us today for an assessment of your legal situation.