The profession of Technical Publications Writer is listed under the USMCA(NAFTA) professions list as a profession that qualifies for TN visa status. If you are a Canadian or Mexican Citizen with an offer of employment from a US employer, you might qualify to work and live in the US under TN Visa status. We discuss the profession of a Technical Publications Writer for TN Visa status under the USMCA and how to qualify here.
What is a Technical Publications Writer for TN Visa purposes?
According to the US Bureau of Labor Statistics Occupational Outlook Handbook (OOH), Technical Publications Writers fall under the profession of Technical Writer. These professions as are defined follows for immigration purposes:
Technical writers, also called technical communicators, prepare instruction manuals, how-to guides, journal articles, and other supporting documents to communicate complex and technical information more easily. They also develop, gather, and disseminate technical information through an organization’s communications channels. Technical writers typically do the following:
- Determine the needs of users of technical documentation
- Study product samples and talk with product designers and developers
- Work with technical staff to make products and instructions easier to use
- Write or revise supporting content for products
- Edit material prepared by other writers or staff
- Incorporate animation, graphs, illustrations, or photographs to increase users’ understanding of the material
- Select appropriate medium, such as manuals or videos, for message or audience
- Standardize content across platforms and media
- Collect user feedback to update and improve content
Technical writers create paper-based and digital operating instructions, how-to manuals, assembly instructions, and “frequently asked questions” pages to help technical support staff, consumers, and other users within a company or an industry. After a product is released, technical writers also may work with product liability specialists and customer-service managers to improve the end-user experience through product design changes.
How do I qualify for TN Visa status as a Technical Publications Writer?
You might qualify for TN Visa status as a Techincal Publications Writer if you meet the following minimum qualifications:
- You are a Canadian or Mexican Citizen (Permanent Residents do NOT qualify);
- You have a job offer from a US employer or are servicing a contract with a US client;
- You will be performing duties consistent with a Technical Writer under the OOH;
- You have a Baccalaureate or Licenciatura Degree in English, communications, journalism, or a related field. Technical writing jobs may require candidates to have knowledge of a technical field, such as engineering or computer and information technology; OR Post-secondary diploma or Post-secondary certificate, and three years of experience; and
- You can demonstrate that you have non-immigrant intent, in other words, the intent to return to your foreign residence at the end of your temporary employment.
Is certification or licensure required to obtain TN Visa status as a Technical Publications Writer?
Some associations, including the Society for Technical Communication, offer certification for technical writers. In addition, the American Medical Writers Association offers extensive continuing education programs and certificates in medical writing. These certificates are available to professionals in the medical and scientific communication fields. However, licensure is a post-entry requirement for TN visa status and is NOT a requirement to obtain TN visa status as a Technical Publications Writer.
Additional Outside Resources
We Can Help!
The immigration lawyers at Richards and Jurusik Immigration Law have more than 30+ years of TN Visa experience helping people to live and work in the United States. Contact us today for a free assessment of your qualifications for TN Visa status as a Techincal Publications Writer.