The U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) has recently announced a significant extension, impacting applicants, petitioners, and requestors in their response to agency requests. This change, effective as of January 24, 2023, is anticipated to be the final such extension, underscoring the importance of meeting upcoming deadlines for those involved in immigration processes.
Extension Details: Key Dates and Applicability
- Extension Period: Responses received up to 60 calendar days after their due date will be considered by USCIS, provided the request or notice was issued between March 1, 2020, and March 23, 2023.
- Effective Date: The extension is effective immediately and covers responses due up to March 23, 2023.
Scope of the USCIS Extension
The extension encompasses a broad range of requests and notices, including but not limited to:
- Requests for Evidence (RFEs)
- Continuations to Request Evidence (N-14)
- Notices of Intent to Deny (NOID)
- Notices of Intent to Revoke (NOIR)
- Notices of Intent to Rescind
- Notices of Intent to Terminate regional centers
- Motions to Reopen an N-400 pursuant to 8 CFR 335.5, involving derogatory information received after grant.
Additionally, USCIS will consider Form I-290B (Notice of Appeal or Motion) and Form N-336 (Request for a Hearing on a Decision in Naturalization Proceedings under Section 336 of the INA), with specific filing and decision date stipulations:
- The form must be filed within 90 calendar days from a decision made between November 1, 2021, and January 24, 2023.
Importance of Complying with Upcoming Deadlines
Post-March 23, 2023, USCIS expects adherence to standard response deadlines, as outlined in any request or notice. This marks a critical transition period for individuals navigating immigration procedures, emphasizing the need for timely compliance.
Conclusion: A Critical Window for Immigration Applicants and Petitioners
This final extension by USCIS provides an essential window for those involved in immigration proceedings to respond to agency requests. Understanding these changes and deadlines is crucial for successful navigation of the immigration process.
Additional Outside Resources
We Can Help!
You may have questions regarding U.S. immigration laws and visas. We invite you to reach out to our team at Richards and Jurusik for detailed guidance and assistance. Our goal is to provide you with the most accurate and up-to-date information to make your immigration process smoother and less stressful. The immigration lawyers at Richards and Jurusik have decades of experience helping people to work and live in the United States. Read some of our hundreds of 5-star client reviews! Contact us today for an assessment of your legal situation.