The profession of a Psychologist is listed under the USMCA(NAFTA) professions list as a profession that qualifies for TN visa status. If you are a Canadian or Mexican Citizen with an offer of employment from a US employer as a Psychologist, you might qualify to work and live in the US under TN Visa status. We discuss the profession of a Psychologist for TN Visa status under the USMCA and how to qualify here.
What is a Psychologist for TN Visa purposes?
Under the Occupational Outlook Handbook (OOH) a Psychologist is outlined as follows:
Psychologists study cognitive, emotional, and social processes and behavior by observing, interpreting, and recording how people relate to one another and to their environments. They use their findings to help improve processes and behaviors. Psychologists typically do the following:
- Conduct scientific studies of behavior and brain function
- Observe, interview, and survey individuals
- Identify psychological, emotional, behavioral, or organizational issues and diagnose disorders
- Research and identify behavioral or emotional patterns
- Test for patterns that will help them better understand and predict behavior
- Discuss the treatment of problems with clients
- Write articles, research papers, and reports to share findings and educate others
- Supervise interns, clinicians, and counseling professionals
Psychologists seek to understand and explain thoughts, emotions, feelings, and behavior. They use techniques such as observation, assessment, and experimentation to develop theories about the beliefs and feelings that influence individuals.
How do I qualify for TN Visa status as a Psychologist?
You might qualify for TN Visa status as a Psychologist if you meet the following minimum qualifications:
- You are a Canadian or Mexican Citizen (Permanent Residents do NOT qualify);
- You have a job offer from a US employer or are servicing a contract with a US client;
- You will be performing duties consistent with a Psychologist;
- You have a State/Provincial License; OR Licenciatura Degree; and
- You can demonstrate that you have non-immigrant intent, in other words, the intent to return to your foreign residence at the end of your temporary employment.
Is certification or licensure required to obtain TN Visa status as a Psychologist?
You can qualify for TN Visa status as a Psychologist by having either a State/Provincial License OR a Licenciatura Degree. No other degrees or combinations of degrees and education can meet these requirements.
Additional Outside Resources
We Can Help!
The immigration lawyers at Richards and Jurusik Immigration Law have more than 30+ years of TN Visa experience helping people to live and work in the United States. Contact us today for a free assessment of your qualifications for TN Visa status as a Psychologist.