April 29, 2022 – CBP Update – Travelers to the US at a land border should apply for an I-94 in Advance – US Customs and Border Protection (CBP is asking that travelers to the United States that required a Form I-94 apply for and complete it prior to seeking admission. The goal is to reduce wait times at land borders during the peak summer travel months. Find out if you need Form I-94 and how to complete one.
Who is required to have Form I-94 by a land border to the US?
All visitors to the United States are required to have a Form I-94 except for the following travelers:
- US citizens
- Returning resident aliens (Green Card Holders)
- Foreign nationals with immigrant visas (IV)
- Most visa-exempt Canadian citizens visiting or in transit
How do I apply for my Form I-94 in advance?
You are able to apply for Form I-94 in advance of your travels to the US via land border directly through the CBP website. Applying for form I-94 in advance will save you time when traveling to the US by a land border.
CBP has Provided the Following Tips for Land Travelers to the US
If you will be traveling to the US via a land border Travelers are also encouraged to follow the tips below:
- Plan Ahead – Plan your travel around times with less traffic early in the morning before 6 am and in the afternoon after 3 pm. Check wait times to avoid lengthy delays.
- Travel with the Correct Documents – Make sure you have all required documents for each traveler in your vehicle available and ready to provide to CBP.
- Use Trusted Traveler Programs – Using travel programs such as NEXUS can reduce your travel times. Keep in mind that all passengers must be a part of the program to use expedited processing.
- Know what is in your Vehicle – Before traveling to the US make sure you review the contents of your vehicle and are aware of what you and any passengers are traveling with. Be prepared to declare all items you are bringing with you. This includes food. Many fruits, meats, dairy, and poultry products are prohibited.
- Declare all firearms – If you will be bringing firearms with you, make sure you meet the requirements to import or export firearms and ammunition to/from the United States.
- Say No to Marijuana – Although marijuana is legal in Canada, the sale, possession, production, and distribution of marijuana are illegal under US federal law and US Immigration.
What is an I-94, and what am I supposed to do with it? How do I correct a mistake on my I-94 at a CBP deferred inspection site? How do I get my CBP Form I-94 Record?
Additional Outside Resources
- CBP: Apply for a new I-94
- CBP wait times
- CBP NEXUS
- CBP Prohibited and Restricted Items
- ATF Imports and Exports
Read the Full Update from CBP
CBP encourages travelers to apply for I-94 online prior to arriving at the land border