The journey to U.S. permanent residency involves several key steps, including health-related requirements. A crucial aspect is the COVID-19 vaccination mandate, tied to the medical examination process. Understanding these requirements is vital for green card applicants within the United States.
COVID-19 Vaccination Requirement for Green Card Applicants
- Mandate Overview: For those filing for a green card via the adjustment of status process on USCIS Form I-485, it is mandatory to submit USCIS Form I-693, Report of Medical Examination and Vaccination Record.
- Effective Date: This vaccination requirement is applicable for USCIS Form I-693 completed on or after October 1, 2021. Forms completed before this date that remain valid are exempt from this requirement.
Verification Process for COVID-19 Vaccination
- Civil Surgeon’s Role: The civil surgeon conducting the medical examination must verify your COVID-19 vaccination status. This involves examining your vaccination record, medical chart entries by a physician, or a review by appropriate medical personnel.
- Self-reporting: Personal reporting of COVID-19 vaccination status is not permitted. Form I-693 must be completed by a designated civil surgeon who will record vaccine doses and formulations.
Exceptions to the COVID-19 Vaccination Mandate
- Certain applicants are exempt from this requirement:
- Age Consideration: Applicants who are below the age-appropriate threshold for the vaccine.
- Medical Contraindications: Individuals with medical conditions that contraindicate the COVID-19 vaccine.
- Vaccine Availability: Applicants residing in regions where COVID-19 vaccines are not routinely available.
For aspiring U.S. permanent residents, adhering to health-related mandates, including the COVID-19 vaccination requirement, is an integral part of the application process. It is important to ensure compliance with these medical requirements to facilitate a smooth transition to permanent residency.
Additional Outside Resources
- I-693, Report of Medical Examination and Vaccination Record
- I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status
- Find a Civil Surgeon
We Can Help!
You may have questions regarding U.S. immigration laws and visas. We invite you to reach out to our team at Richards and Jurusik for detailed guidance and assistance. Our goal is to provide you with the most accurate and up-to-date information to make your immigration process smoother and less stressful. The immigration lawyers at Richards and Jurusik have decades of experience helping people to work and live in the United States. Read some of our hundreds of 5-star client reviews! Contact us today for an assessment of your legal situation.