The profession of Urban Planner is listed under the USMCA(NAFTA) professions list as a profession that qualifies for TN visa status. If you are a Canadian or Mexican Citizen with an offer of employment from a US employer as an Urban Planner, you might qualify to work and live in the US under TN Visa status. We discuss the profession of an Urban Planner for TN Visa status under the USMCA and how to qualify here.
What is an Urban Planner for TN Visa purposes?
According to the US Bureau of Labor Statistics Occupational Outlook Handbook (OOH), Technical Publications Writers fall under the profession of Urban and Regional Planners. These professions as are defined follows for immigration purposes:
Urban and regional planners develop land use plans and programs that help create communities, accommodate population growth, and revitalize physical facilities in towns, cities, counties, and metropolitan areas. Urban and regional planners typically do the following:
- Meet with public officials, developers, and the public regarding development plans and land use
- Administer government plans or policies affecting land use
- Gather and analyze data from market research, censuses, and economic and environmental studies
- Conduct field investigations to analyze factors affecting community development and decline, including land use
- Review site plans submitted by developers
- Assess the feasibility of proposals and identify needed changes
- Recommend whether proposals should be approved or denied
- Present projects to communities, planning officials, and planning commissions
- Stay current on zoning and building codes, environmental regulations, and other legal issues
Urban and regional planners identify community needs and develop short- and long-term solutions to improve and revitalize communities and areas. As an area grows or changes, planners help communities manage the related economic, social, and environmental issues, such as planning new parks, sheltering the homeless, and making the region more attractive to businesses.
How do I qualify for TN Visa status as an Urban Planner?
You might qualify for TN Visa status as an Urban Planner if you meet the following minimum qualifications:
- You are a Canadian or Mexican Citizen (Permanent Residents do NOT qualify);
- You have a job offer from a US employer or are servicing a contract with a US client;
- You will be performing duties consistent with an Urban or Regional Planner under the OOH;
- You have a Baccalaureate or Licenciatura Degree in a closely-related field; and
- You can demonstrate that you have non-immigrant intent, in other words, the intent to return to your foreign residence at the end of your temporary employment.
Is certification or licensure required to obtain TN Visa status as an Urban Planner?
As of 2016, New Jersey was the only state that required urban and regional planners to be licensed. However, licensure is a post-entry requirement for TN visa status and is not a requirement to obtain TN visa status as an Urban Planner.
Additional Outside Resources
We Can Help!
The immigration lawyers at Richards and Jurusik Immigration Law have more than 30+ years of TN Visa experience helping people to live and work in the United States. Contact us today for a free assessment of your qualifications for TN Visa status as an Urban Planner.