Beware of "immigration consultants"!- Resources Blog - US Immigration FAQs - Richards and Jurusik Immigration Law - Buffalo NY

In most cases, immigration consultants are not authorized to practice immigration law and are practicing law without a license. US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) does not recognize immigration consultants and will not allow them to file USICS Form G-28 (Notice of Entry of Appearance as Attorney or Accredited Representative) in any immigration matter.

The following are listed as the only immigration service providers authorized by USCIS:

  • Representatives accredited by the Department of Justice (DOJ)’s Office of Legal Access Programs (OLAP) and working for DOJ-recognized organizations
  • Attorneys in good standing who are not subject to any order restricting their ability to practice law

Unlike Canadian immigration law, where immigration consultants can assist you, ONLY licensed US immigration lawyers can legally help you with your US immigration law matters.

So be cautious when choosing your representation, and be sure to work ONLY with a licensed US immigration lawyer. Immigration consultants CANNOT legally practice US immigration law!

We Can Help!

Don’t know where to start? If you have questions about your particular immigration situation, contact the US immigration lawyers at Richards and Jurusik for help. We have more than 20 years of experience helping people live and work in the US.

Contact Us

Similar Posts