The profession of a Biologist is listed under the USMCA(NAFTA) professions list as a profession that qualifies for TN visa status. If you are a Canadian or Mexican Citizen with an offer of employment from a US employer as a Biologist, you might qualify to work and live in the US under TN Visa status. We discuss the profession of a Biologist for TN Visa status under the USMCA and how to qualify here.
What is a Biologist for TN Visa purposes?
According to O*NET OnLine and the US Department of Labor Biologists are defined as follows for immigration purposes:
Bilogists research or study basic principles of plant and animal life, such as origin, relationship, development, anatomy, and functions. Biologists can perform any of the following tasks:
- Prepare technical and research reports, such as environmental impact reports, and communicate the results to individuals in industry, government, or the general public.
- Develop and maintain liaisons and effective working relations with groups and individuals, agencies, and the public to encourage cooperative management strategies or to develop information and interpret findings.
- Collect and analyze biological data about relationships among and between organisms and their environment.
- Program and use computers to store, process, and analyze data.
- Supervise biological technicians and technologists and other scientists.
- Identify, classify, and study structure, behavior, ecology, physiology, nutrition, culture, and distribution of plant and animal species.
- Communicate test results to state and federal representatives and general public.
- Prepare requests for proposals or statements of work.
- Represent employer in a technical capacity at conferences.
- Study basic principles of plant and animal life, such as origin, relationship, development, anatomy, and function.
- Review reports and proposals, such as those relating to land use classifications and recreational development, for accuracy, adequacy, or adherence to policies, regulations, or scientific standards.
- Develop methods and apparatus for securing representative plant, animal, aquatic, or soil samples.
- Plan and administer biological research programs for government, research firms, medical industries, or manufacturing firms.
- Study aquatic plants and animals and environmental conditions affecting them, such as radioactivity or pollution.
- Write grant proposals to obtain funding for biological research.
- Research environmental effects of present and potential uses of land and water areas, determining methods of improving environmental conditions or such outputs as crop yields.
- Study and manage wild animal populations.
- Measure salinity, acidity, light, oxygen content, and other physical conditions of water to determine their relationship to aquatic life.
- Prepare plans for management of renewable resources.
- Teach or supervise students and perform research at universities and colleges.
- Study reactions of plants, animals, and marine species to parasites.
- Develop pest management and control measures, and conduct risk assessments related to pest exclusion, using scientific methods.
How do I qualify for TN Visa status as a Biologist?
You might qualify for TN Visa status as a Biologist if you meet the following minimum qualifications:
- You are a Canadian or Mexican Citizen (Permanent Residents do NOT qualify);
- You have a job offer from a US employer or are servicing a contract with a US client;
- You will be performing duties consistent with a Biologist;
- You have a Baccalaureate or Licenciatura Degree in English in biology or a related field; and
- You can demonstrate that you have non-immigrant intent, in other words, the intent to return to your foreign residence at the end of your temporary employment.
“Biologist” Includes Plant Pathologists
Under NAFTA and now the USMCA the term “Biologist” includes the profession of Plant Pathologist.
Is certification or licensure required to obtain TN Visa status as a Biologist?
Certification or licensure is NOT a requirement to obtain a TN visa status as a biologist.
TN Visa Professions & Occupations List
Additional Outside Resources
We Can Help!
The immigration lawyers at Richards and Jurusik Immigration Law have more than 30+ years of TN Visa experience helping people to live and work in the United States. Contact us today for an assessment of your qualifications for TN Visa status as a Biologist.