The profession of an Astronomer is listed under the USMCA(NAFTA) professions list as a profession that qualifies for TN visa status. If you are a Canadian or Mexican Citizen with an offer of employment from a US employer as an Astronomer, you might qualify to work and live in the US under TN Visa status. We discuss the profession of Astronomer for TN Visa status under the USMCA and how to qualify here.
What is an Astronomer for TN Visa purposes?
According to the US Bureau of Labor Statistics Occupational Outlook Handbook (OOH), Astronomers fall under the profession of Physicists and Astronomers. The profession of an Astronomer is defined as follows for immigration purposes:
Physicists and astronomers study the interactions of matter and energy. Theoretical physicists and astronomers may study the nature of time or the origin of the universe. Some physicists design and perform experiments with sophisticated equipment such as particle accelerators, electron microscopes, and lasers. Physicists and astronomers typically do the following:
- Develop scientific theories and models to explain the properties of the natural world, such as the force of gravity or the formation of subatomic particles
- Plan and conduct scientific experiments and studies to test theories and discover properties of matter and energy
- Write proposals and apply for research funding
- Do mathematical calculations to analyze physical and astronomical data, such as for new material properties or the existence of planets in distant solar systems
- Design new scientific equipment, such as telescopes and lasers
- Develop computer software to analyze and model data
- Write scientific papers for publication
- Present research findings at conferences and lectures
Astronomers study planets, stars, and other celestial bodies. They use ground-based equipment, such as optical telescopes, and space-based equipment, such as the Hubble Space Telescope. Some astronomers study distant galaxies and phenomena such as black holes and neutron stars. Others monitor space debris that could interfere with satellite operations.
How do I qualify for TN Visa status as an Astronomer?
You might qualify for TN Visa status as an Astronomer if you meet the following minimum qualifications:
- You are a Canadian or Mexican Citizen (Permanent Residents do NOT qualify);
- You have a job offer from a US employer or are servicing a contract with a US client;
- You will be performing duties consistent with an Astronomer;
- You have a Baccalaureate or Licenciatura Degree in astronomy, or a related field; and
- You can demonstrate that you have non-immigrant intent, in other words, the intent to return to your foreign residence at the end of your temporary employment.
Is certification or licensure required to obtain TN Visa status as an Astronomer?
Some positions with the federal government, such as those involving nuclear energy, may require applicants to be U.S. citizens and hold a security clearance. However, licensure is a post-entry requirement for TN visa status and is NOT a requirement to obtain TN visa status as an Astronomer.
Additional Outside Resources
We Can Help!
The immigration lawyers at Richards and Jurusik Immigration Law have more than 30+ years of TN Visa experience helping people to live and work in the United States. Contact us today for an assessment of your qualifications for TN Visa status as an Astronomer.