Green card

Qualifying Family Members for Green Cards: A Snapshot

  1. Spouse (husband or wife)
  2. Unmarried children under the age of 21
  3. Child of any age
  4. Parents (if you are 21 or over)
  5. Siblings (if you are 21 or over)

Petitioning Process: Inside or Outside the US

Inside the US:

  • File Form I-130 and Form I-485 together if the family is already in the United States.
  • Once approved, a green card will be issued.

Outside the US:

  • Initiate the process by filing Form I-130 through a US consulate.
  • After approval, family members undergo consular processing for their green card.

Wait Times for Green Cards

  • Immediate relatives: Spouses, parents, and children under 21 are NOT subject to wait times.
  • Family preference immigrants: Married children, children over 21, and siblings ARE subject to wait times, ranging from a few to several years.

Green Card Process Complexity: Why Seek Professional Guidance

The green card process is not without challenges. Filing mistakes can lead to delays and denials. Engaging an experienced immigration attorney early in the process ensures meticulous handling, avoiding unnecessary setbacks, and providing peace of mind.

Navigating the green card journey for your family members requires strategic planning. Act promptly by filing Form I-130 to initiate the process and secure permanent status for your loved ones.

Subscribe to Our Resources Blog

Schedule a Consultation with an Immigration Lawyer

We Can Help!

You may have questions regarding U.S. immigration laws and visas. We invite you to reach out to our team at Richards and Jurusik for detailed guidance and assistance. Our goal is to provide you with the most accurate and up-to-date information to make your immigration process smoother and less stressful. The immigration lawyers at Richards and Jurusik have decades of experience helping people to work and live in the United States. Read some of our hundreds of 5-star client reviews! Contact us today for an assessment of your legal situation.

Contact Us

Similar Posts