Are you a suitable candidate for the US Automatic Visa Revalidation (AVR) process? The AVR process allows specific individuals with expired nonimmigrant visas to reenter the US via a US port of entry. This article explains how to establish your qualification and eligibility for AVR.
Understanding Automatic Visa Revalidation
The Automatic Visa Revalidation is an exceptional process where US Customs and Border Protection permits to travel for a duration of up to 30 days based on an expired visa, given that certain prerequisites are met. It offers a streamlined approach for qualified travel without the necessity to renew the visa at an embassy or consulate.
Qualifying for Automatic Visa Revalidation
Your qualification for AVR is the primary step. There are two main categories under which individuals must fall to be considered for AVR:
- Nonimmigrants who have left the US for brief travel to Mexico, Canada, or an adjacent island (applicable for F and J nonimmigrants) for 30 days or less.
- Nonimmigrants possessing a valid (unexpired) admission stamp or a paper Form I-94 (Arrival/Departure Record), approved by the Department of Homeland Security (DHS).
Determining Eligibility for Automatic Visa Revalidation
Once qualified, you are then deemed eligible for AVR given that these conditions are met:
- The underlying authorization for your current status is still valid via Form I-129 for non-immigrant workers and Form I-20 for students in F status.
- Your absence from the United States was for 30 days or less.
- You didn’t visit any countries other than Mexico or Canada during that period (F or J visa status travelers are permitted to visit adjacent islands to the United States, like the Caribbean).
- You don’t have a pending or rejected application for a new visa (as it’s not feasible to renew a nonimmigrant visa in the United States, a person with a non-immigrant visa may travel to a nearby country to apply for a new visa).
- You are not a citizen of one of the countries designated by the United States as a state sponsor of terrorism.
Additional Outside Resources
You may have questions regarding Automatic Visa Revalidation (AVR). We invite you to reach out to our team at Richards and Jurusik for detailed guidance and assistance. Our goal is to provide you with the most accurate and up-to-date information to make your immigration process smoother and less stressful. The immigration lawyers at Richards and Jurusik have decades of experience helping people to work and live in the United States. Read some of our hundreds of 5-star client reviews! Contact us today for an assessment of your legal situation.