Temporary Resident Permit (TRP)

You may be inadmissible to Canada if you have a DUI or past criminal offense. This can be problematic if you have a reason to travel to Canada to visit family, attend a wedding, go on a fishing trip, for business, or simply for tourism. You might qualify for a temporary resident permit (TRP) to allow temporary entry to Canada. We discuss the temporary resident permit (TRP) for entry to Canada with a DUI or criminal record here.

What is a temporary resident permit (TRP) for Canada and do I need one?

A Temporary Resident Permit (TRP) is issued by the Canadian Border Service Agency (CBSA) to otherwise inadmissible persons seeking entry to Canada for a justified temporary time period. When requesting a TRP you must demonstrate that your need to stay in or enter Canada is greater that the health or safety risks you pose to the Canadian public. This can be required If you drive while impaired by alcohol or drugs, including cannabis, other criminal offenses, and even minor reasons. You won’t be able to enter Canada without a temporary resident permit.

How long can I stay in Canada with a Temporary Resident Permit (TRP)?

If you are approved for a temporary resident permit, it generally covers the time period of your temporary stay, for example, a 1-week wedding celebration, a 5-day fishing trip, or a 2-day business meeting. You are only authorized to stay until the expiry date of the permit. You must get a new permit or depart Canada before it expires. Most permits unless specifically stated, do not allow for re-entry. Any future travel to Canada will require a new temporary resident permit.

Is a temporary resident permit (TRP) guaranteed?

No. There is no guarantee that you’ll be issued a temporary resident permit. The reviewing officer will determine if your need to visit Canada outweighs the potential risk to Canada for your visit. If they determine the risk to Canada is lower than your need for temporary entry, the temporary residence permit will be granted.

Canadian Inadmissibility Lawyer

If you, or anyone traveling with you,  has a DUI or a criminal record, you may be unable to enter Canada. You should speak with a licensed Canadian Inadmissibility Lawyer before traveling to Canada with a DUI or other criminal record. Even with a DUI or criminal record, you may be able to enter Canada with a temporary resident permit (TRP) or criminal rehabilitation (CR). Plan ahead to make sure your criminal record does not prevent entry to Canada.

Our US Immigration Services for Entry to Canada

As a US Citizen, what documents can I use to travel to Canada?

Additional Outside Resources

We Can Help!

The immigration lawyers at Richards and Jurusik Immigration Law have more than 30+ years of experience helping people enter Canada with criminal convictions. Contact us today for an assessment of your legal situation.

Contact Us

Similar Posts