What is the USCIS Immigrant Fee, and how do I pay it? - Resources Blog - US Immigration FAQs - Richards and Jurusik Immigration Law - Buffalo NY

Once your immigrant visa has been approved at a US Consulate or Embassy, you can now seek entry to the United States. Before Citizenship and Immigration Services will issue your Permanent Resident Card (Green Card), you must pay the USCIS Immigrant Fee. But what is it for, and how do you pay it?

What is the USCIS Immigrant Fee?

The USCIS Immigrant Fee covers the cost of processing your immigrant visa packet and producing your Green Card. You will not receive your Green Card until you have paid this fee and traveled to the United States.

How do I pay the USCIS Immigrant Fee?

The US Embassy or Consulate will give you and your family members:

  • A sealed immigrant visa packet. Keep it in a safe place and DO NOT open it.
  • An Alien Registration Number (A-Number). A-Numbers begin with the letter “A,” followed by 8 or 9 numbers.
  • A DOS Case ID. This ID usually begins with 3 letters followed by 9 or 10 numbers. (DOS Case ID numbers for Diversity Visa immigrants will have 4 numbers followed by 2 letters and 5 more numbers.)

You can find both your A-Number and your DOS Case ID on your visa card.

USCIS Immigration Fee - Visa card - Richards and Jurusik Immigration Law - Buffalo NY - Toronto ON

You must pay then pay the fee online using the USCIS Electronic Immigration System:

  1. Go to the USCIS Immigrant Fee website.
  2. Enter your A-Number and DOS Case ID as shown. (If your DOS Case ID has two additional numbers at the end such as “01” or “02,” do NOT include them.)
  3. If you are paying for additional family members, provide their A-Numbers and DOS Case IDs as well.
  4. Enter payment information and authorize payment.

A couple of tips on paying the USCIS Immigrant Fee:

  • You must pay before you travel to the United States. You will not receive your Green Card until you have paid the USCIS Immigrant Fee.
  • A family member, friend, employer, attorney, or accredited representative can pay the fee for you.
  • You can track the status of your Green Card at the USCIS website.

Green Cards through Employment Family-based Immigration

Additional Outside Resources

We Can Help!

Don’t know where to start? The immigration lawyers at Richards and Jurusik Immigration Law have more than 20 years of experience helping foreign nationals (especially Canadians) live and work in the United States. Contact us today for an assessment of your legal situation.

Contact Us

Similar Posts