TN Visa Dependents

The spouse and children under the age of 21 may accompany or join the TN status holder in the United States if they qualify for TD nonimmigrant status. They are not permitted to work in the U.S. but they are allowed to study. To be eligible for a TD visa, they must demonstrate a spousal or child-parent relationship with the TN status holder.  It’s not necessary for the dependents to have Canadian citizenship. In such cases, they must contact the American embassy or consulate in their area to be informed about the application process.

Dependents of Canadian Citizens

The spouse and children of a Canadian citizen are not required to have visas but they must be able to provide the necessary documentation at the port of entry:

  1. Proof of Canadian citizenship
  2. Proof of relationship to the TN status holder (marriage certificate or birth certificate)
  3. Photocopies of the entry documents of the TN status holder

Dependents Seeking to Join the TN Status Holder in the U.S.

The spouse and children seeking to join the TN non-immigrant in the U.S. must show a valid Form I-94 as a proof that the TN status holder maintains the TN non-immigrant status.

Call a TN Visa Lawyer