A Number

All immigrants to the United States are assigned a unique registration number for identification purposes. This number is commonly referred to as an Alien Registration Number, Alien Number, A-Number, or A#. Find out more about your A-Number number here.

What is my immigration A-Number?

Your Alien Registration Number (“A-Number”, “Alien Number” or “A#”) is a seven-to-nine-digit number that US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) gives to most immigrants who apply to live in the US. Your A-Number is used to track your US immigration matters with USCIS. Most USCIS forms require your A-Number.

How do I get an A-Number?

All immigrants who apply to live in the US permanently are assigned an A-Number. If you apply for a Permanent Resident Card (Green Card) or another type of Immigrant Visa, you will receive an Alien Number (A-Number). If you are on a tourist or business visitor visa, you will not receive an A-Number as you are only in the US temporarily (non-immigrant) and not seeking to immigrate permanently(immigrant). The exception is for those in the US as students on an F-1 visa with work authorization, they received an A-Number.

What is the difference between an A-Number and a USCIS Number?

Your Alien Registration Number (A-Number) is used by USCIS to track you across multiple applications. A USCIS Case Number refers to one (1) specific application. Your A-Number is a nine-digit number, while a USCIS Case Number consists of a combination of three letters and ten numbers and is a total of 13 characters.

How do I find my A-Number?

Your A-Number can appear on several different immigration documents. Such as:

  • Your Permanent Resident Card (Green Card)
  • Your Employment Authorization Document
  • Your Immigrant Visa
  • If you have applied to be a permanent US resident, your A-Number can be found on most documents your received from USCIS and can be found at the top of the page under “A#”
  • Your A-Number may also appear on other US Immigration documents if you are an intending immigrant to the US

Green Cards through Employment Sponsorship Green Cards for Family Members

Additional Outside Resources

We Can Help!

The immigration attorneys at Richards and Jurusik have more than 20 years of experience in US immigration law. If you have questions about your particular situation, contact us for an assessment of your US immigration matters.

Contact Us

Similar Posts