On October 7, 2022, U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) published updated guidance in the USCIS Policy Manual as a result of a settlement agreement in Calixto to v. Department of the Army, Civ. A. No. 18-1551 (PLF) (D.D.C.), known as the Calixto Agreement. Effective Sept. 22, 2022, the U.S. Army agreed to certify Form N-426, Request for Certification of Military or Naval Service, for Calixto class members. As a result, these class members may become eligible for naturalization under section 329 of the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA), even before attending initial entry training. This update applies only to Calixto class members filing for military naturalization (MAVNI). This guidance applies to all currently pending applications as well as to applications filed on or after Sept. 22, 2022.
Read the full USCIS Policy Update for Calixto Class Members
- Calixto Settlement Agreement and Military Accessions Vital to National Interest Naturalization Applicants – Oct. 7, 2022
Additional Outside Resources
- Calixto v. U.S. Dep’t of Army
- N-426, Request for Certification of Military or Naval Service
- N-400, Application for Naturalization
- USCIS Policy Manual – Volume 12 – Citizenship and Naturalization
We Can Help!
The immigration lawyers at Richards and Jurusik Immigration Law have more than 30+ years of experience helping people to live and work in the United States. Contact us today for a free assessment of your legal situation.