On December 28, 2022. the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) announced that it will implement a requirement for a negative COVID-19 test or documentation of recovery for air passengers boarding flights to the United States originating from the People’s Republic of China (PRC) and the Special Administrative Regions of Hong Kong and Macau.
Starting at 12:01 AM ET on January 5, 2023, all air passengers two (2) years and older originating from the PRC will be required to get a COVID-19 test no more than 2 days before their departure from the PRC, Hong Kong, or Macau, and show a negative test result to the airline upon departure.
- The requirement applies to these air passengers regardless of nationality and vaccination status.
- This will also apply to persons traveling from the PRC via third-country transit and to passengers connecting through the United States onward to further destinations.
- Along with applying this requirement to direct flights from the PRC, passengers transiting Incheon International Airport, Toronto Pearson International Airport, and Vancouver International Airport on their way to the United States will be required to provide a negative COVID-19 test if they have been in the PRC in the last 10 days no more than 2 days before their departure to the United States. These three transit hubs cover the overwhelming majority of passengers with travel originating in the PRC and the Special Administrative Regions. We will continue to monitor travel patterns, adjust our approach as needed, and keep Americans informed in a timely manner.
- Passengers who tested positive more than 10 days before the flight can provide documentation of recovery from COVID-19 in lieu of a negative test result.
- Airlines must confirm the negative COVID-19 test result or documentation of recovery for all passengers before they board or deny boarding to the passenger.
Read the Full Guidance from the CDC Here
CDC Announces Negative COVID-19 Test Requirement from Air Passengers Entering the United States from the People’s Republic of China _ CDC Online Newsroom _ CDC
We Can Help!
The US immigration lawyers at Richards and Jurusik Immigration Law have more than 30+ years of experience helping people to live and work in the United States. Contact us today for an assessment of your legal situation.