Marriage green card

Navigating the Green Card Journey: Top 10 Questions Answered About Marriage-Based U.S. Permanent Residency

Navigating the path to U.S. permanent residency can be complex and challenging. Our comprehensive guide simplifies this journey by answering the top 10 most frequently asked questions about obtaining a green card through marriage to a U.S. citizen. Discover the essential eligibility requirements, understand the process and timeline, learn about your rights and responsibilities, and much more. Arm yourself with the knowledge to successfully embark on your green card journey.

1. What are the Eligibility Requirements for a Green Card through Marriage?

The basic eligibility requirements to obtain a green card through marriage are critical to understanding for anyone embarking on this immigration journey. To qualify, the applicant must be legally married to a U.S. citizen, the marriage must be bona fide (not solely for obtaining a green card), and the applicant must not have any disqualifying criminal or immigration violation records.

2. How is the Green Card Process through Marriage Structured?

The process of obtaining a green card involves multiple steps, starting with filing an I-130 form (Petition for Alien Relative) by the U.S. citizen spouse. This is followed by the filing of the I-485 form (Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status) by the foreign spouse, then an interview process, and finally, a decision by USCIS.

3. What is the Expected Timeline for Obtaining a Green Card through Marriage?

The timeline can vary significantly based on individual circumstances and processing times at USCIS. Generally, it may take between 10 months to 2 years from the time the application is submitted until the green card is received.

4. Can I Work in the U.S. While Waiting for my Green Card Approval?

The right to work in the U.S. while waiting for green card approval is an important consideration. Once an I-485 application is submitted, the applicant can also apply for an Employment Authorization Document (EAD) which allows them to work while their application is being processed.

5. What Documentation is Needed for My Green Card Application?

Accurate and comprehensive documentation is required to support a successful application. This includes proof of U.S. citizenship of the sponsoring spouse, a marriage certificate, proof of termination of any prior marriages, evidence of a bona fide marriage, and biographic and background information about both spouses.

6. What are the Financial Responsibilities of the U.S. Citizen Spouse in the Application Process?

The U.S. citizen spouse often needs to demonstrate their ability to financially support their non-citizen spouse. This involves an Affidavit of Support (Form I-864) to prove they have income at or above 125% of the federal poverty guidelines.

7. What Happens if My Green Card Application Is Denied?

Understanding potential outcomes if the application is not successful is essential. If a green card application is denied, USCIS will provide reasons for the denial. In many cases, applicants have the right to appeal the decision or may submit a motion to reopen or reconsider the case.

8. What are the Fees Associated with Applying for a Green Card through Marriage?

Understanding the cost is crucial for budgeting. The fee for an I-130 form is $535, while the I-485 form fee ranges from $750 to $1,140, depending on the applicant’s age. Other costs may include medical examinations, biometrics fees, and potential legal fees. These fees are subject to change.

9. How Long is the Green Card Valid and What’s the Process for Renewal?

The initial green card obtained through marriage is conditional and valid for 2 years. To maintain permanent resident status, the applicant needs to file an I-751 form (Petition to Remove Conditions on Residence) within 90 days before the card expires.

10. What are the Conditions that Could Lead to the Revocation of My Green Card?

A green card can be revoked for various reasons, such as committing certain crimes, failing to advise USCIS of changes in address, or being found to have obtained the green card fraudulently. It’s important for green card holders to understand and comply with all the legal requirements to maintain their status.

As the process of obtaining a green card through marriage to a U.S. citizen can be complex, it is always advised to consult with an immigration lawyer.

Green Cards for Spouses

Schedule a Consultation with a US Immigration Lawyer

We Can Help!

You may have questions regarding the Process of Obtaining a Green Card Through Marriage to a U.S. Citizen. We invite you to reach out to our team at Richards and Jurusik for detailed guidance and assistance. Our goal is to provide you with the most accurate and up-to-date information to make your immigration process smoother and less stressful. The immigration lawyers at Richards and Jurusik have decades of experience helping people to work and live in the United States. Read some of our hundreds of 5-star client reviews! Contact us today for an assessment of your legal situation.

Contact Us

Similar Posts