The profession of Horticulturist is listed under the USMCA(NAFTA) professions list as a profession that qualifies for TN visa status. If you are a Canadian or Mexican Citizen with an offer of employment from a US employer as a Horticulturist, you might qualify to work and live in the US under TN Visa status. We discuss the profession of a Horticulturist for TN Visa status under the USMCA and how to qualify here.
What is a Horticulturist for TN Visa purposes?
According to the US Department of Labor (DOL), Horticulturists fall under the profession of Soil and Plant Scientists. Horticulturist conduct research in breeding, physiology, production, yield, and management of crops and agricultural plants or trees, shrubs, and nursery stock, their growth in soils, and control of pests; or study the chemical, physical, biological, and mineralogical composition of soils as they relate to plant or crop growth. May classify and map soils and investigate the effects of alternative practices on soil and crop productivity.
How do I qualify for TN Visa status as a Horticulturist?
You might qualify for TN Visa status as a Horticulturist if you meet the following minimum qualifications:
- You are a Canadian or Mexican Citizen (Permanent Residents do NOT qualify);
- You have a job offer from a US employer or are servicing a contract with a US client;
- You will be performing duties consistent with a Horticulturist;
- You have a Baccalaureate or Licenciatura Degree in a related field; and
- You can demonstrate that you have non-immigrant intent, in other words, the intent to return to your foreign residence at the end of your temporary employment.
Is certification or licensure required to obtain TN Visa status as a Horticulturist?
Certification or licensure is not a requirement to obtain TN visa status as a Horticulturist.
TN Visa Professions & Occupations List
Additional Outside Resources
We Can Help!
The immigration lawyers at Richards and Jurusik Immigration Law have more than 30+ years of TN Visa experience helping people to live and work in the United States. Contact us today for an assessment of your qualifications for TN Visa status as a Horticulturist.