The USMCA (formerly NAFTA) offers specialized opportunities for professionals, including Horticulturists, from Canada and Mexico to work in the United States. Recognized under the agreement, Horticulturists can apply for TN Visa status to live and work in the U.S., provided they meet specific criteria.
Role of a Horticulturist for TN Visa Eligibility
As defined by the US Department of Labor (DOL), Horticulturists are categorized under the broader profession of Soil and Plant Scientists. Their roles include:
- Conducting research in the breeding, physiology, production, and management of crops, agricultural plants, trees, shrubs, and nursery stock.
- Studying the growth of these plants in various soils and controlling pests.
- Investigating the chemical, physical, biological, and mineralogical composition of soils in relation to plant growth.
- Classifying and mapping soils and examining the effects of different agricultural practices on soil and crop productivity.
Qualifying for TN Visa Status as a Horticulturist
To be eligible for TN Visa status, a Horticulturist should fulfill the following criteria:
- Citizenship: Must be a Canadian or Mexican citizen. Permanent Residents do not qualify.
- Employment Offer: Should have a job offer from a U.S. employer or a contract with a U.S. client.
- Professional Duties: The job role must align with the duties of a Horticulturist as outlined by the DOL.
- Educational Requirements: A Baccalaureate or Licenciatura Degree in Horticulture or a related field is necessary.
- Non-Immigrant Intent: An intention to return to the home country at the end of employment is essential.
Certification and Licensure Requirements
For Horticulturists seeking TN Visa status, holding specific certifications or licensure is not mandatory. The primary focus is on their educational qualifications and the nature of their professional duties.
Canadian and Mexican Horticulturists looking to work in the United States can utilize the TN Visa pathway offered under USMCA by meeting these qualifications and contributing their expertise in this specialized field.
Additional Outside Resources
We Can Help!
You may have questions regarding U.S. immigration laws and visas. We invite you to reach out to our team at Richards and Jurusik for detailed guidance and assistance. Our goal is to provide you with the most accurate and up-to-date information to make your immigration process smoother and less stressful. The immigration lawyers at Richards and Jurusik have decades of experience helping people to work and live in the United States. Read some of our hundreds of 5-star client reviews! Contact us today for an assessment of your legal situation.