Green Card

Current green cards have a validity of either two (2) years, or ten (10) years, and must be renewed. Previous green card versions did not have an expiration date. These green cards are no longer valid and should be replaced with a new green card. Here is how to renew or replace your green card.

When should I replace my green card?

If you have a green card it should be replaced if:

  • Your Green Card is either expired or will expire within the next six (6) months;
  • Your previous card was lost, stolen, mutilated, or destroyed;
  • You received your card before you were 14 and you have reached your 14th birthday (unless your card expires before your 16th birthday);
  • You have been a commuter and are now taking up actual residence in the United States;
  • You have been a permanent resident residing in the United States and are now taking up commuter status;
  • Your status has been automatically converted to permanent resident status (this includes special agricultural worker applicants who are converting to permanent resident status);
  • You have a previous version of the Alien Registration Card (for example, USCIS Form AR-3, Form AR-103, or Form I-151, which are no longer valid to prove your immigration status) and must replace it with a current Green Card;
  • Your card contains incorrect information;
  • You have legally changed your name or other biographic information on the card since you last received your card; or
  • You never received the previous card we issued to you.

How do I replace my green card online?

You can file to replace your green card online with USCIS by creating a USCIS online account. After you create the account you will:

  • Submit evidence and pay fees electronically;
  • Receive case status updates about your case and see your complete case history;
  • Communicate with USCIS securely and directly; and
  • Respond to requests for evidence.

If you already have a USCIS online account, simply use the account you already have. 

How do I replace my green card through the mail?

You can file to replace your green card through the mail with USCIS by using USCIS Form I-90. This is done by completing and submitting USCIS Form I-90 along with the required filing fees and supporting documents.

How do I remove the conditions on my conditional 2-year green card?

If you are a conditional permanent resident who obtained status through marriage, you will want to apply to remove the conditions on your permanent resident status—or you risk losing your lawful status.

How do I file for “removal of conditions” on my permanent resident status?

How can I track my green card application?

Once you receive your form I-90 is received by USCIS, you will receive a receipt notice confirming the processing of your case and a case receipt number. The progress of your case can be tracked with your receipt number directly through the USCIS Online Case Status tool. 

Can my green card be revoked? What are my rights and responsibilities as a US green card holder?

Additional Outside Resources

We Can Help!

The immigration lawyers at Richards and Jurusik Immigration Law have more than 20 years of experience helping people to live and work in the United States. Contact us today for an assessment of your legal situation.

Contact Us

Similar Posts