If you work in the profession of industrial design, you may qualify to work in the United States under the USMCA(NAFTA) in TN Visa status. The profession of an industrial designer is one of the professions listed under the USMCA that qualifies for TN Visa status to work in the United States. We discuss the profession of an industrial designer for TN Visa status under the USMCA and how to qualify here.
What is an industrial designer for TN Visa purposes?
According to the US Bureau of Labor Statistics Occupational Outlook Handbook (OOH) the profession of an industrial designer is outlined as follows:
Industrial designers develop the concepts for manufactured products, such as cars, home appliances, and toys. They combine art, business, and engineering to make products that people use every day. Industrial designers consider the function, aesthetics, production costs, and usability of products when developing new product concepts. Industrial designers typically do the following:
- Consult with clients to determine requirements for designs
- Research the various ways a particular product might be used, and who will use it
- Sketch ideas or create renderings, which are images on paper or on a computer that provide a visual of design ideas
- Use computer software to develop virtual models of different designs
- Create physical prototypes of their designs
- Examine materials and manufacturing requirements to determine production costs
- Work with other specialists, such as mechanical engineers and manufacturers, to evaluate whether their design concepts will fill needs at a reasonable cost
- Evaluate product safety, appearance, and function to determine if a design is practical
- Present designs and demonstrate prototypes to clients for approval
How do I qualify for TN Visa status as an industrial designer?
You might qualify for TN Visa status as an industrial designer if you meet the following minimum qualifications:
- You are a Canadian or Mexican Citizen (Permanent Residents do NOT qualify);
- You have a job offer from a US employer or are servicing a contract with a US client;
- You will be performing duties consistent with an industrial designer under the OOH;
- You have a Baccalaureate or Licenciatura Degree in a closely related field; OR post-secondary diploma or post-secondary certificate, and three years of experience; and
- You can demonstrate that you have non-immigrant intent, in other words, the intent to return to your foreign residence at the end of your temporary employment.
With proper preparation and guidance, the TN Visa process can be straightforward. Taken lightly, the TN Visa process can be burdensome and can have long-term immigration consequences.
TN Visa Professions & Occupations List
What are the TN Visa Degree Requirements?
Additional Outside Resources
We Can Help!
The immigration lawyers at Richards and Jurusik Immigration Law have more than 30+ years of TN Visa experience helping people to live and work in the United States. Contact us today for an assessment of your qualifications for TN Visa status as an industrial designer.