In 2003, Actuary was confirmed as a qualifying TN Visa profession under the USMCA (NAFTA) Mathematician profession. If you are a Canadian or Mexican Actuary with an offer of employment to work in the United States, you may qualify for TN Visa status. We discuss the profession of an Actuary and how to qualify for TN Visa status here.
What is an Actuary for TN Visa purposes?
According to the US Bureau of Labor Statistics Occupational Outlook Handbook (OOH), Actuaries are defined as follows for immigration purposes:
Actuaries analyze the financial costs of risk and uncertainty. They use mathematics, statistics, and financial theory to assess the risk of potential events, and they help businesses and clients develop policies that minimize the cost of that risk. Actuaries’ work is essential to the insurance industry. Actuaries typically do the following:
- Compile and analyze statistical data and other information
- Estimate the probability and likely economic cost of an event such as death, sickness, an accident, or a natural disaster
- Design and test insurance policies, investments, and other business strategies to minimize risk and maximize profitability
- Calculate cash reserves needed, based on existing policies and liabilities, in case of payout or claims
- Produce charts, tables, and reports that explain calculations and proposals
- Explain their findings and proposals to company executives, government officials, shareholders, and clients
Actuaries use database software to compile information. They use statistical and modeling software to forecast the probability of an event occurring, the potential costs of the event if it does occur, and whether the insurance company has enough money to pay future claims.
How do I qualify for TN Visa status as an Actuary?
You might qualify for TN Visa status as an Actuary if you meet the following minimum qualifications:
- You are a Canadian or Mexican Citizen (Permanent Residents do NOT qualify);
- You have a job offer from a US employer or are servicing a contract with a US client;
- You will be performing duties consistent with an Actuary under the OOH;
- You have a Baccalaureate or Licenciatura Degree in mathematics, actuarial science, statistics, or some other analytical field; and
- You can demonstrate that you have non-immigrant intent, in other words, the intent to return to your foreign residence at the end of your temporary employment.
The profession of Mathematician under the USMCA (NAFTA) includes the profession of Actuary
In accordance with the NAFTA 1994 Commission decision of October 7, 2003, the term “Mathematician” includes the profession of Actuary.
Do I need a license or certification to qualify for TN Visa status as an Actuary?
Although there are levels of certification as associate and fellow for actuaries, certification is not required to obtain TN Visa status.
Additional Outside Resources
We Can Help!
The immigration lawyers at Richards and Jurusik Immigration Law have more than 30+ years of TN Visa experience helping people to live and work in the United States. Contact us today for a free assessment of your qualifications for TN Visa status.