Mathematicians and Statisticians are two of the several professions that can qualify for TN Visa status under the USMCA (NAFTA). If you are a Canadian or Mexican Mathematician and Statistician with an offer of employment to work in the United States, you may qualify for TN Visa status. We discuss the professions of Mathematicians and Statisticians and how to qualify for TN Visa status here.
What are Mathematicians and Statisticians for TN Visa purposes?
According to the US Bureau of Labor Statistics Occupational Outlook Handbook (OOH), Mathematicians and Statisticians are defined as follows for immigration purposes:
Mathematicians and statisticians analyze data and apply computational techniques to solve problems. Mathematicians and statisticians typically do the following:
- Decide what data are needed to answer specific questions or problems
- Apply mathematical theories and techniques to solve practical problems in business, engineering, the sciences, and other fields
- Design surveys, experiments, or opinion polls to collect data
- Develop mathematical or statistical models to analyze data
- Interpret data and communicate analyses to technical and nontechnical audiences
- Use statistical software to analyze data and create visualizations to aid decision making in business
How do I qualify for TN Visa status as a Mathematician or Statistician?
You might qualify for TN Visa status as a Mathematician or Statistician if you meet the following minimum qualifications:
- You are a Canadian or Mexican Citizen (Permanent Residents do NOT qualify);
- You have a job offer from a US employer or are servicing a contract with a US client;
- You will be performing duties consistent with a Mathematician or Statistician under the OOH;
- You have a Baccalaureate or Licenciatura Degree in mathematics or statistics or a closely related field; and
- You can demonstrate that you have non-immigrant intent, in other words, the intent to return to your foreign residence at the end of your temporary employment.
Additional Outside Resources
We Can Help!
The immigration lawyers at Richards and Jurusik Immigration Law have more than 30+ years of TN Visa experience helping people to live and work in the United States. Contact us today for a free assessment of your qualifications for TN Visa status.