Land surveyors are one of the several professions that can qualify for TN Visa status under the USMCA (NAFTA). If you are a Canadian or Mexican land surveyor with an offer of employment to work in the United States, you may qualify for TN Visa status. We discuss the profession of a land surveyor and how to qualify for TN Visa status here.
What is a land surveyor for TN Visa purposes?
According to the US Bureau of Labor Statistics Occupational Outlook Handbook (OOH), the profession of land surveyor falls under the profession of Surveyors. The profession of Surveyors is defined as follows for immigration purposes:
Surveyors make precise measurements to determine property boundaries. They provide data relevant to the shape and contour of the Earth’s surface for engineering, mapmaking, and construction projects. Surveyors typically do the following:
- Measure distances and angles between points on, above, and below the Earth’s surface
- Travel to locations and use known reference points to determine the exact location of important features
- Research land records, survey records, and land titles
- Look for evidence of previous boundaries to determine where boundary lines are located
- Record the results of surveying and verify the accuracy of data
- Prepare plots, maps, and reports
- Present findings to clients and government agencies
- Establish official land and water boundaries for deeds, leases, and other legal documents and testify in court regarding survey work
Surveyors mark and document the location of legal property lines. For example, when a house or commercial building is bought or sold, surveyors may mark property boundaries to prevent or resolve disputes. They use a variety of measuring equipment depending upon the type of survey. The following are examples of types of surveyors:
How do I qualify for TN Visa status as a Land Surveyor?
You might qualify for TN Visa status as a land surveyor if you meet the following minimum qualifications:
- You are a Canadian or Mexican Citizen (Permanent Residents do NOT qualify);
- You have a job offer from a US employer or are servicing a contract with a US client;
- You will be performing duties consistent with a land surveyor under the OOH;
- You have a Baccalaureate or Licenciatura; OR state/provincial/federal license; and
- You can demonstrate that you have non-immigrant intent, in other words, the intent to return to your foreign residence at the end of your temporary employment.
Do I need a license to qualify for TN Visa status as a Land Surveyor?
All 50 US states and the District of Columbia require surveyors to be licensed before they can certify legal documents that show property lines or determine proper markings on construction projects. Although you can qualify for TN Visa status with a state/provincial/federal license, licensure is a post-entry requirement and not required to obtain TN Visa status.
TN Visa Professions & Occupations List
What are the TN Visa Degree Requirements?
Additional Outside Resources
We Can Help!
The immigration lawyers at Richards and Jurusik Immigration Law have more than 30+ years of TN Visa experience helping people to live and work in the United States. Contact us today for an assessment of your qualifications for TN Visa status.