If you are a Social Worker with an offer of employment from a US employer, you might qualify to work in the United States under TN Visa status. Social Worker is one of the many professions listed under the USMCA that qualifies for TN Visa status. We discuss the profession of a Social Worker for TN Visa status under the USMCA and how to qualify here.
What is a Social Worker for TN Visa purposes?
According to the US Bureau of Labor Statistics Occupational Outlook Handbook (OOH), Social Workers as are defined follows for immigration purposes:
Social workers help individuals, groups, and families prevent and cope with problems in their everyday lives. Clinical social workers diagnose and treat mental, behavioral, and emotional problems. Social workers typically do the following:
- Identify people and communities in need of help
- Assess clients’ needs, situations, strengths, and support networks to determine their goals
- Help clients adjust to changes and challenges in their lives, such as illness, divorce, or unemployment
- Research, refer, and advocate for community resources, such as food stamps, childcare, and healthcare, to assist and improve a client’s well-being
- Respond to crisis situations such as child abuse and mental health emergencies
- Monitor clients’ situations, and follow up to ensure that they have improved
- Maintain case files and records
- Provide psychotherapy services
Social workers help people cope with challenges in their lives. They help with a wide range of situations, such as adopting a child, being diagnosed with a terminal illness, or preventing and treating substance abuse.
How do I qualify for TN Visa status as a Social Worker?
You might qualify for TN Visa status as a social worker if you meet the following minimum qualifications:
- You are a Canadian or Mexican Citizen (Permanent Residents do NOT qualify);
- You have a job offer from a US employer or are servicing a contract with a US client;
- You will be performing duties consistent with a social worker under the OOH;
- You have a Baccalaureate or Licenciatura Degree in Social Worker; and
- You can demonstrate that you have non-immigrant intent, in other words, the intent to return to your foreign residence at the end of your temporary employment.
Is a license required to obtain TN Visa status as a social worker?
All states require clinical social workers to be licensed. Some states also require nonclinical social workers to have a license or credential. However, licensure is a post-entry requirement for TN visa status and is not a requirement to obtain TN visa status.
Additional Outside Resources
We Can Help!
The immigration lawyers at Richards and Jurusik Immigration Law have more than 30+ years of TN Visa experience helping people to live and work in the United States. Contact us today for a free assessment of your qualifications for TN Visa status.