The profession of a Dietitian is listed under the USMCA(NAFTA) professions list as a profession that qualifies for TN visa status. If you are a Canadian or Mexican Citizen with an offer of employment from a US employer as a Dietitian, you might qualify to work and live in the US under TN Visa status. We discuss the profession of a Dietitian for TN Visa status under the USMCA and how to qualify here.
What is a Dietitian for TN Visa purposes?
According to the US Bureau of Labor Statistics Occupational Outlook Handbook (OOH), Dietitians fall under the professions of Dietitians and Nutritionists and are defined as follows for immigration purposes:
Dietitians and nutritionists are experts in the use of food and nutrition to promote health and manage disease. They plan and conduct food service or nutritional programs to help people lead healthy lives. Dietitians and nutritionists typically do the following:
- Assess clients’ nutritional and health needs
- Counsel clients on nutrition issues and healthy eating habits
- Develop meal and nutrition plans, taking clients’ preferences and budgets into account
- Evaluate and monitor the effects of nutrition plans and practices and make changes as needed
- Promote healthy lifestyles by speaking to groups about diet, nutrition, and the relationship between good eating habits and preventing or managing specific diseases
- Create educational materials about healthy food choices and lifestyle
- Keep up with or contribute to the latest food and nutritional science research
- Document clients’ progress
Dietitians and nutritionists evaluate the health of their clients through nutrition assessment and diagnostic laboratory testing. Based on their findings, dietitians and nutritionists advise clients on behavior modifications and intervention plans, including which foods to eat—and which to avoid—to improve their health.
How do I qualify for TN Visa status as a Dietitian?
You might qualify for TN Visa status as a Dietitian if you meet the following minimum qualifications:
- You are a Canadian or Mexican Citizen (Permanent Residents do NOT qualify);
- You have a job offer from a US employer or are servicing a contract with a US client;
- You will be performing duties consistent with a Dietitian under the OOH;
- You have a Baccalaureate of Licenciatura; OR State/Provincial License; and
- You can demonstrate that you have non-immigrant intent, in other words, the intent to return to your foreign residence at the end of your temporary employment.
Is certification or licensure required to obtain TN Visa status as a Dietitian?
Many states require dietitians and nutritionists to be licensed in order to practice. Other states require only state registration or certification to use certain titles, and a few states have no regulations for this occupation. Although a license may be required in some states and you can qualify for TN visa status with a State/Provincial license, licensure is a post-entry requirement for TN visa status and is NOT a requirement to obtain TN visa status as a Dietitian.
Additional Outside Resources
We Can Help!
The immigration lawyers at Richards and Jurusik Immigration Law have more than 30+ years of TN Visa experience helping people to live and work in the United States. Contact us today for a free assessment of your qualifications for TN Visa status as a Dietitian.