Research assistants that work in post-secondary educational institutions can qualify for TN Visa status under the USMCA (NAFTA). If you are a Canadian or Mexican research assistant with an offer of employment to work in the United States for a post-secondary educational institution, you may qualify for TN Visa status. We discuss the profession of research assistant and how to qualify for TN Visa status here.
What is a Research Assistant for TN Visa purposes?
The profession of a research assistant under the USMCA professions list is reserved ONLY for those working in research positions for post-secondary educational institutions. If you have an offer of employment from an employer other than a post-secondary educational institution, it will NOT qualify for TN Visa status as a research assistant under the USMCA.
How do I qualify for TN Visa status as a Research Assistant?
You might qualify for TN Visa status as a Research Assistant if you meet the following minimum qualifications:
- You are a Canadian or Mexican Citizen (Permanent Residents do NOT qualify);
- You have a job offer from a US post-secondary educational institution;
- You will be performing duties consistent with a research assistant under the OOH;
- You have a Baccalaureate or Licenciatura Degree in a field related to research; and
- You can demonstrate that you have non-immigrant intent, in other words, the intent to return to your foreign residence at the end of your temporary employment.
Additional Outside Resources
We Can Help!
The immigration lawyers at Richards and Jurusik Immigration Law have more than 30+ years of TN Visa experience helping people to live and work in the United States. Contact us today for a free assessment of your qualifications for TN Visa status.