Research assistants that work in post-secondary educational institutions can qualify for TN Visa status under the USMCA (NAFTA). If you are a Canadian or Mexican research assistant with an offer of employment to work in the United States for a post-secondary educational institution, you may qualify for TN Visa status. We discuss the profession of research assistant and how to qualify for TN Visa status here.
What is a Research Assistant for TN Visa purposes?
The profession of a research assistant under the USMCA professions list is reserved ONLY for those working in research positions for post-secondary educational institutions. If you have an offer of employment from an employer other than a post-secondary educational institution, it will NOT qualify for TN Visa status as a research assistant under the USMCA.
How do I qualify for TN Visa status as a Research Assistant?
You might qualify for TN Visa status as a Research Assistant if you meet the following minimum qualifications:
- You are a Canadian or Mexican Citizen (Permanent Residents do NOT qualify);
- You have a job offer from a US post-secondary educational institution;
- You will be performing duties consistent with a research assistant under the OOH;
- You have a Baccalaureate or Licenciatura Degree in a field related to research; and
- You can demonstrate that you have non-immigrant intent, in other words, the intent to return to your foreign residence at the end of your temporary employment.
TN Visa Professions & Occupations List
What are the TN Visa Degree Requirements?
Additional Outside Resources
We Can Help!
The immigration lawyers at Richards and Jurusik Immigration Law have more than 30+ years of TN Visa experience helping people to live and work in the United States. Contact us today for an assessment of your qualifications for TN Visa status.