The profession of a Geographer is listed under the USMCA(NAFTA) professions list as a profession that qualifies for TN visa status. If you are a Canadian or Mexican Citizen with an offer of employment from a US employer as a Geographer you might qualify to work and live in the US under TN Visa status. We discuss the profession of a Geographer for TN Visa status under the USMCA and how to qualify here.
What is a Geographer for TN Visa purposes?
According to the US Bureau of Labor Statistics Occupational Outlook Handbook (OOH), the profession of a geographer is defined as follows for immigration purposes:
Geographers study the Earth and the distribution of its land, features, and inhabitants. They research the interactions between the physical aspects of a region and the human activities within it. Geographers typically do the following:
- Gather geographic data through field observations, maps, photographs, satellite imagery, and censuses
- Conduct research via surveys, interviews, and focus groups
- Create and modify maps or other visual representations of geographic data
- Analyze the geographic distribution of physical and cultural characteristics and occurrences
- Collect, analyze, and display geographic data with Geographic Information Systems (GIS)
- Write reports and present research findings
- Assist, advise, or lead others in using GIS and geographic data
- Link geographic data with economic, health, or other data
Geographers use several technologies in their work, such as GIS, remote sensing, and global positioning systems (GPS), to find relationships and trends in geographic data. They then present the data visually as maps, reports, and charts.
How do I qualify for TN Visa status as a Geographer?
You might qualify for TN Visa status as a Geographer if you meet the following minimum qualifications:
- You are a Canadian or Mexican Citizen (Permanent Residents do NOT qualify);
- You have a job offer from a US employer or are servicing a contract with a US client;
- You will be performing duties consistent with a Geographer under the OOH;
- You have a Baccalaureate or Licenciatura Degree in a closely related field, and
- You can demonstrate that you have non-immigrant intent, in other words, the intent to return to your foreign residence at the end of your temporary employment.
Is certification or licensure required to obtain TN Visa status as a Geographer?
Although not required, certification may indicate professional expertise. However, licensure is a post-entry requirement for TN visa status and is not a requirement to obtain TN visa status as a geographer.
Additional Outside Resources
We Can Help!
The immigration lawyers at Richards and Jurusik Immigration Law have more than 30+ years of TN Visa experience helping people to live and work in the United States. Contact us today for a free assessment of your qualifications for TN Visa status as a Geographer.