In some instances, nonimmigrant visa holders may be required to file taxes in the United States. If your nonimmigrant status doesn’t qualify for a Social Security Number (SSN), you may need an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN). We cover the basic steps to obtain an ITIN if you are a nonimmigrant visa holder in the United States here.

How do I get an ITIN while on a nonimmigrant visa?

If you need an ITIN while on a nonimmigrant visa, you can follow these basic steps:

  1. Complete Form W-7: The first step in obtaining an ITIN is to complete Form W-7, which is the Application for IRS Individual Taxpayer Identification Number. You can download Form W-7 from the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) website or request a physical copy by calling the IRS toll-free at 1-800-829-3676.
  2. Gather Supporting Documents: Along with Form W-7, you will need to provide supporting documents that prove your identity and foreign status. Acceptable documents may include your passport, visa, birth certificate, or other identification documents issued by your home country. The IRS provides a list of acceptable documents in the instructions for Form W-7.
  3. Fill in Form W-7: Carefully fill in all the required information on Form W-7, including your name, mailing address, date of birth, and other relevant details. Be sure to use the same name and spelling as it appears on your visa and other identification documents.
  4. Submit Form W-7 and Supporting Documents to the IRS: Once you have completed Form W-7 and gathered your supporting documents, you can submit them to the IRS. You can mail your completed Form W-7, along with your supporting documents, to the address listed in the instructions for Form W-7. Alternatively, you can submit your application in person at an IRS Taxpayer Assistance Center.
  5. Wait for Processing: It may take several weeks or even months for the IRS to process your ITIN application. Once your application is processed, the IRS will send you a letter notifying you of the decision. If approved, the letter will include your ITIN, which you can use for tax purposes.

Note: It’s important to keep in mind that an ITIN is only used for tax purposes and is not a form of work authorization or a visa. It does not grant you the right to work or live in the United States, and it is not valid for identification purposes. It is solely used for reporting and paying taxes to the IRS. If you have questions or need further assistance with obtaining an ITIN while on a nonimmigrant visa, it’s recommended to seek professional advice from a qualified tax professional.

Additional Outside Resources

We Can Help!

The US immigration lawyers at Richards and Jurusik Immigration Law have more than 30+ years of experience helping people to live and work in the United States. Read some of our hundreds of 5-star client reviews! Contact us today for an assessment of your legal situation.

Contact Us

Similar Posts