The profession of a Data Scientist is not specifically listed under the USMCA professions list. If you have received a job offer to work in the United States as a Data Scientist, it is important to understand how the profession is classified for TN Visa purposes before you submit an application for TN visa status. We discuss the profession of a Data Scientist for TN visa purposes here.
What is a Data Scientist for TN Visa purposes?
According to the US Bureau of Labor Statistics Occupational Outlook Handbook (OOH), Data scientists use analytical tools and techniques to extract meaningful insights from data. Data scientists typically do the following:
- Determine which data are available and useful for the project
- Collect, categorize, and analyze data
- Create, validate, test, and update algorithms and models
- Use data visualization software to present findings
- Make business recommendations to stakeholders based on data analysis
The profession of a data scientist is not listed under the USMCA. However, there are other professions that are closely aligned with the profession. The duties that you are expected to perform will be the eventual factor to determine if the position qualifies for TN Visa status.
What TN Visa professions are similar to data scientists?
According to the US Bureau of Labor Statistics Occupational Outlook Handbook (OOH), the following TN Visa professions are similar to data scientists:
How do I qualify for TN Visa status as a data scientist?
You might qualify for TN Visa status as a data scientist if you meet the following minimum qualifications:
- You are a Canadian or Mexican Citizen (Permanent Residents do NOT qualify);
- You have a job offer from a US employer or are servicing a contract with a US client;
- You will be performing duties consistent with a profession listed under the USCMA that qualifies for TN Visa status ;
- You have a Baccalaureate or Licenciatura Degree in a closely-related field; and
- You can demonstrate that you have non-immigrant intent, in other words, the intent to return to your foreign residence at the end of your temporary employment.
The profession of a data scientist can be difficult for TN Visa purposes. You should speak with an immigration lawyer with specific TN Visa experience before applying for a TN visa under this profession.
Additional Outside Resources
- OOH Data Scientists
- ONET OnLine Data Scientists 15-2051.00
- Cronin memo July 2000 – Computer Engineers are Engineers under NAFTA
We Can Help!
The immigration lawyers at Richards and Jurusik Immigration Law have more than 30+ years of TN Visa experience helping people to live and work in the United States. Contact us today for an assessment of your qualifications for TN Visa status.