Eligibility Criteria for Changing to a TN Visa
If you meet the following conditions, you could be eligible for a seamless change from a visitor visa to a TN Visa:
- Canadian or Mexican Citizenship: Hold citizenship in Canada or Mexico.
- Lawful Admission as a Visitor: Entered the U.S. lawfully, either as a visa-exempt individual or on a B-1 Visitor Visa.
- Maintained Visa Validity: Ensure your current visa remains valid throughout the transition process.
- Valid Employment Offer: Obtain a legitimate employment offer from a U.S. entity under a TN Visa profession.
- Meet TN Profession Requirements: Fulfill the minimum requirements for the TN profession you intend to work in.
Navigating the Process
Once eligibility is confirmed, follow these steps for a smooth transition:
- Prepare Required Documents: Gather essential documents, including proof of citizenship, visa admission details, current visa validity evidence, and the employment offer under TN Visa.
- Submit Form I-129: File Form I-129 with U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), along with supporting documents.
- Attend Biometrics Appointment: Fulfill any biometrics requirements as part of the application process.
- Wait for USCIS Decision: Patiently wait for USCIS to review your application and make a decision.
- Commence TN Employment: Upon approval, start your employment in the U.S. under the TN Visa.
By understanding the eligibility criteria and navigating the process diligently, converting from a visitor visa to a TN Visa can be a smooth and efficient transition.
We Can Help!
You may have questions regarding U.S. immigration laws and visas. We invite you to reach out to our team at Richards and Jurusik for detailed guidance and assistance. Our goal is to provide you with the most accurate and up-to-date information to make your immigration process smoother and less stressful. The immigration lawyers at Richards and Jurusik have decades of experience helping people to work and live in the United States. Read some of our hundreds of 5-star client reviews! Contact us today for an assessment of your legal situation.