A TN Visa is employer-specific, which means that each TN Visa is tied to a specific role for a specific employer. A TN Visa requires a job offer or a contract with a US entity.
- Working in the United States for a company requires a job offer under a qualifying TN Visa profession
- A TN Visa only grants authorization for that specific role with that specific employer
- You cannot self-sponsor or be self-employed on a TN Visa
- If you are an independent contractor, this requires a contract with a US entity.
- Working for a different employer requires a new TN Visa prior to commencing employment
In any case, a TN Visa requires proof that you will be performing services for a US entity.
We Can Help!
Don’t know where to start? We are experienced in helping Canadian citizens obtain TN Visa status for filling either part-time or full-time positions within the US. If you have questions about whether your particular situation qualifies, contact Richards and Jurusik for a free assessment of your TN Visa matters. We have more than 20 years of experience helping people live and work in the US on TN Visas.