Experienced re-entry permit lawyer Richards and Jurusik can help you file USCIS Form I-131 doe a re-entry permit. If you are a U.S. Permanent Resident and have or will spend 6 months or more outside the United States, you should apply for a re-entry permit with USCIS through Form I-131. Our specialized practice has allowed us to gain particular expertise with the preparation, filing and successful adjudication of Reentry Permits for Canadians citizens that are also U.S. Permanent Residents (green card holders). No matter your need for a re-entry permit, we can help you comply with Form I-131 instructions, re-entry permit requirements, and enable you to successfully obtain a re-entry permit. As our client you will benefit from our extensive experience, affordable flat fee, and accessibility.

USCIS Form I-131 Re-Entry Permit

The most common use of USCIS Form I-131 is for a Re-entry permit. Re-entry Permits are most commonly applied for by U.S. permanent residents (green card holders) who have plans to be outside the United States for longer than six (6) months but not to exceed two (2) years. In addition, you must have the intent to maintain and not abandon your residence within the United States. A re-entry permit is proof of your intent to return to your U.S. residence after a temporary stay outside the United States. The re-entry permit was designed for temporary long term stays outside the United States and is not a fix for those planning on residing permanently outside the United States on a green card. If you have plans to reside outside the United States permanently, you should consider turning in your green card.

Duration of a Form I-131 Re-Entry Permit

A Form I-131 re-entry, is commonly given for a one (1) to two (2) year period and is applied for from within the United States. It is important that you remain inside the United States until the re-entry permit has been received by USCIS. If you are not physically present when the case has been received for processing by USCIS your case will be denied. This often takes at least 5 business days.

Common Reasons for a Form I-131 Re-Entry Permit

Common reasons for obtaining a reentry permit as a U.S. permanent resident are:

1. Business or employment abroad
2. Long-term vacation abroad
3. Medical reasons
4. Death or illness in the family
5. Any other valid reason

Before a re-entry permit will be approved USCIS takes several factors into consideration, such as:

It is recommended that you obtain a reentry permit if you have plans to be outside the United States for greater than one (1) year, for any reason. Unfortunately, not all future travel and circumstances can be anticipated. Although a re-entry permit may be sent to a consulate or embassy abroad for pick-up, it must be applied for from within the United States. If you are a U.S. permanent resident and have questions about obtaining a re-entry permit, you must apply prior to leaving the United States. Contact us today for an assessment in order to determine if a re-entry permit is required for your situation.