TN Visa status is employer-specific, but you may change your TN Visa employer at any time by obtaining new TN Visa status for your new employer. Working for an employer different from the one listed in the Form I-94 is a violation against U.S. immigration laws. You need to obtain a new TN Visa status each time you change an employer, change a job, or add another position. There are two proper ways to process a change of TN Visa employer:

  1. Change of Employer through Form I-129 – The employer files Form I-129 with the USCIS if your TN Visa status is currently valid and you will work under the same TN Visa profession but will change your TN Visa employer. This process allows you to conveniently have an employment change through a service center without having to travel to a U.S. port of entry. The completion of the process takes about two months, but you may opt for the shorter processing period of 15 days by paying the premium processing fee.

  2. Change of Employer at the Port of Entry – Application for TN visa that involves change of employer can be done at a U.S. port of entry wherein you must present a new packet along with the new offer letter from the new potential employer. Applications for TN Visa status that involve a change of employer are given the same scrutiny as the initial applications of TN visa.  It is essential to prepare the change of employer application with the same attention to detail as the initial application.

We are experienced in helping Canadians obtain TN visas with a change of employer. If you’re offered a job by a new employer and you seek a new TN visa, contact us today.

Call Us Today 1-866-697-1832