i94 return to CBP

How do I turn in my TN visa I-94?

What is an I-94?

The I-94 is proof of your lawful admission and will also indicate the duration of your TN visa. You will be authorized to work and live in the US for the duration of your TN Visa as indicated on your I-94 admission record. US Customs and Border Protection (CBP) has now transitioned primarily to issuing electronic I-94 arrival and departure records. When you are admitted to the United States under TN visa status you will receive a corresponding I-94, either physically stapled in your passport, or electronically.

Verify your TN visa I-94 Arrival/Departure Record

In many cases when departing the United States via airline or cruise ship, your exit is automatically recorded. When departing the United States by land, a private plane, or a private boat, your departure may not be recorded properly. An improper record of your departure can impact future entries to the United States. When departing the United States it is incumbent upon you to return any physical I-94 card you were issued and to record your departure properly.

If your departure from the United States was not recorded properly, you should take action to correct it. If you do not, CBP may determine you remained in the US beyond your TN visa validity (authorized stay). This could impact your future travel to the US and your ability to obtain a new TN visa.

Delays beyond your control, such as canceled or delayed flights, medical emergencies requiring a doctor’s care, etc. are not considered unauthorized overstays, however, you will need to bring proof of the cause of your overstay next time you travel to the U.S. in order for it to be forgiven. For airline delays, ask the airline for a letter affirming the delay or a copy of your canceled boarding pass.

You can verify your TN  visa I-94 arrival/departure record with the passport you used when traveling to the US. You can retrieve your I-94 arrival/departure record with CBP by clicking here.

When should I turn in my TN Visa I-94?

Your TN Visa I-94 should only be turned in when you depart the US to return to your home country. This typically occurs when your TN employment has been terminated. You should not return your TN Visa I-94 if you are maintaining your status and taking short trips (30 days or less) to Canada, Mexico, or the Caribbean Islands during the course of your employment in the US on a TN visa.

Where to send your TN Visa I-94 Departure Record

If you need to turn in your TN Visa I-94 departure record, please send it, along with any documentation that proves you left the United States to:

  • By US Postal Service (USPS) – Coleman Data Solutions, Box 7965, Akron, Ohio, 44306, Attn: NIDPS (I-94) USA
  • By FedEx or UPS – Coleman Data Solutions, 3043 Sanitarium Road, Suite 2, Akron, Ohio, 44312, Attn: NIDPS (I-94) USA

Evidence to support your Departure

Along with your TN Visa I-94, you must include a statement in English support of your departure as well as any evidence to support your departure. A statement without supporting evidence will not be accepted. Evidence may include:

  • Original boarding passes you used to depart another country, such as Canada if you flew home from there;
  • Photocopies of entry or departure stamps in your passport indicating entry to another country after you departed the United States (you should copy all passport pages that are not completely blank, and include the biographical page containing your photograph); and
  • Photocopies of other supporting evidence, such as:
    • Dated pay slips or vouchers from your employer to indicate you worked in another country after you departed the United States,
    • Dated bank records showing transactions to indicate you were in another country after you left the United States,
    • School records showing attendance at a school outside the United States to indicate you were in another country after you left the United States, and
    • Dated credit card receipts, showing your name, but, the credit card number deleted, for purchases made after you left the United States to indicate you were in another country after leaving the United States.

Visit the US Customs and Border Protection website  (CBP) for current information and instructions.